Hi! And welcome to a quick edition of, “what’s for breakfast?” If you asked me that question this morning, I would say “same thing we had yesterday!” That’s because I made these Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Baked Donuts, and there was not one crumb left behind! All hands, big and small, were on deck. We’re making these on repeat, because they’re such a good Fall breakfast, super easy to throw together, and make snack-time a lot more exciting.
I really should be packing up the last few stragglers that are lying around before our big move next week, but first, let me share this recipe! But, did I mention to you guys that our little family of 5 is making a HUGE lifestyle change? We’re moving from our loft apartment in very urban Weehawken, NJ to the very green, lush, slower pace of the Poconos in PA. A lot of factors played into the decision: we outgrew our space, the kids need room to play and explore, and we very much need nature, a garden, and my horse nearby.
Before I was a baker, cook, girlfriend, wife, or mom, I was a horse crazy girl and competitive rider. The barn was the only place that I ever felt truly present, and not because I was trying to meditate or anything, it just was, organically. As a wife, mom of 3, Instagram/blogging hustler, I’ve never felt like I needed that “retreat/out” more in my life. Yes, I’m anxious about the transition, and unpacking boxes isn’t my idea of fun, but I think it will all be worth it to get a bit more nature and some quiet, mentally and physically.
Are you still there??? Do you still care about the donuts?! Ok, good. These are a one-bowl wonder, and the perfect little breakfast to make right now, as we’re kicking off the Fall season.
A note: I use a donut pan, made by Wilton, that you can find here. It is super nonstick, which is great. Just be sure to fill the donut cavities with only 2 tablespoons of batter. If you overfill them, the batter will puff up and cover the hole in the center (also, not the end of the world, still delicious).
Did you make this recipe? I love to hear your feedback, so be sure to comment below, and tag your photos on Instagram with #lionsbread so I can see what you’re making 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Baked Donuts
Delicious baked donuts, filled with fresh Fall apples and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg - irresistible breakfast treat!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c unbleached AP flour
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1 apple, chopped fine - Gala or Honeycrisp
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Step 3 Add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the bowl. Fold into the yogurt mixture using a rubber spatula. Add the chopped apples and fold in gently.
- Step 4 Spray a donut pan (mine is made by Wilton) with nonstick cooking spray, and scoop 2 tablespoons of batter into each. Don’t overfill, because they’ll rise up and cover up the donut hole 😊. Bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Step 5 Let cool on a baking rack for 5 mins then dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!